Blasting Off Into My Classroom Reveal 2014-2015

I'm not going to lie...I have a week into school, but if you're anything like me, the entire month before  school starts and the first couple of weeks into the year...your life REVOLVES around your classroom!!  I truly have been spinning, and smiling all the while, trying to ready my classroom for my students.  I decided to take an intergalactic approach this year.  I didn't go over the top, simply because I liked my classroom last year and didn't want to take any of my fabric down!  I added some star border with other spacey accents throughout my room.  I LOVE it!  It's colorful and makes my little teaching heart happy when I walk into it each morning.  So, without further ado, I would like to present to you my 2014-2015 classroom!

This is what greets our visitors each day.  I used a liquid chalk pen to make the wording and poster board with a mix of scrapbooking paper to make my little alien. :)



Walking in, this is the view you would see...


Here is how I'm keeping track of my jobs this year.  I'm giving each student a job and changing it every nine week period.  I think this will promote consistency and more pride in what they're expected to do in our room.  I don't assign jobs until I have had time to get to know them, so this will be during the second week of school. :) 


Here is a look at my Homeworkopoly board, which I also don't start until the second week of school. Each student gets a star game piece to move around the board.  They roll die if they have done all of their homework and have gotten their agenda signed.  THEY LOVE IT!!!  It has, hands down, increased the percentage of students completing their homework.

The cubbies underneath of it consist of my Reading and Math Interactive Notebooks, as well as the student listening center, which is still a work in progress!



So, each month my students will be learning a new type of poetry.  They will create their very own poem and write it on leaves that will then go on our "Poet" tree!  I'll have to post a picture when their fall leaves are finished. :)


Here is one of two reading nooks in my classroom. :)  I have two sticker charts here.  One is for AR points and the other is for my A+ Club, which is where the kiddos that get an A on any exam will place a sticker. :)  I reward the students once they get so many stickers on their chart.

I also have Runde's Room's Comprehension Fans, which we will use during our ELA block.  At the bottom are our student's birthdays.  To the right is my Mean, Median, and Mode trifold board. :)  Just in case you're wondering, I got the rug from IKEA!


Here's what you would see if you were standing at the other end of my classroom. :)  


I got the idea for my Data Center from one of my Facebook followers.  She had an entire wall of data that she had collected for each subject.  I LOVE this idea, because it reinforces Math and allows my students to SEE how they are doing as a group.  My hopes are that they will encourage one another to do their best on each and every test.  I have a bar graph and a line graph for three subjects.  If all goes well this year, I will do this for each subject next year.  

Next to my Data Center is my Boggle board.  I use this during my Word Work time in Reading.


First of all, THIS PICTURE IS BLURRY!!!  If you know me at all, you know that this kills me.  I didn't realize it until I loaded it into my computer, and at that point...I figured, who really cares?!  I hope I'm right about that one, lol.  So this is my Interactive Writing Center, as well as my Science Corner.  I have had AMAZING success with my Writing Center, as have hundreds of other teachers.  I highly recommend taking a look at it if you're wanting to improve your student's ability to write AND to show them just how much fun writing can be!  


Here's my little alien writer.  I got him from Krista Wallden's space collection.  I LOVE HIM!!  I put a #2 pencil in his hand and...VOILA!  Super cute! It's all about the details. ;)


Our students have to complete SRAs every nine weeks, so this is simply where I keep their folders.  I love my tornado lava lamp, as well.  It gives a Science kind-do-feel to my corner, which is good because the science corner is located on the wall next to this spot! 


Here's my small group area.  I kind of have an ELA obsession, so I dedicated my board behind this table just for ELA material.  I love it!


Here is my intergalactic fueling station!  The top left board is for Math concepts, the bottom left is my classroom Behavior Station that I use hand-in-hand with Classroom Dojo.  If you haven't been on Classroom Dojo...GOOGLE IT after you're done reading this post!!  The top right is a simple reminder of things students should include in their writing, and the bottom right is for any important information that they receive from me on a weekly and monthly basis.


Here's where I store my Math centers for my kids.  I got these photo boxes from Michaels last year for $1 a piece!!!!  


This is nothing special, but I try to use as much of my space as an opportunity to learn as possible.  I teach fifth grade and punctuation is something that my students really struggle with.  My hopes are that if they look at one or two of these signs each time they walk out...maybe, just maybe they'll start adapting it to their writing!


Here's a look at my Interactive Language Arts center...I LOVE THIS!  This is my entire LA curriculum in one place.  By the end of the year...sometimes even halfway through the year...my kids can match up the terms with the examples!  Love.


Here is my second Reading Nook.  This is my classroom library, and center storage area as well.  My kids love sitting back here. :)


I got these little tubs from Really Good Stuff.  This is the second year that I have used them in my student's pod baskets...and they are wonderful!  They are extremely sturdy and the colors make me smile. :)


Well, that's that, folks!  I truly have so much more that I need to blog about...I just need more time in the day!  I am going to be featuring some of my fellow coworker's classrooms this coming week, so be sure to check back for those.  THEY ARE ADORABLE!!  Another post that I want to have is about some really great resources that are available to teachers that you may not necessarily know about.  FOLLOW me, so that you get notified about those in the next couple of weeks.

I hope you all had a great start to your school year!!  I can't wait to show you what we have been up to in 309...just know that it may be a day or two after it actually happens! Ha!

Have a great weekend and Labor Day!

23 comments:

  1. Your room looks AH-MAZING! I want to be in your class!!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks, friend!! It really does make me happy. :)

      Delete
  2. I love your room! You have so much bulletin board space! Have a great year!!Aimee
    aimee@vanmiddlesworth.org
    Pencils, Books, and Dirty Looks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love my bulletin board space! Ha! Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  3. Oh Joey!!! Your room looks BEAUTIFUL... I didn't expect any less from you, dear girl! I would love to be in your class, it is so colorful and welcoming. I am particularly proud of you seeing the American flag hung in your room!!! I love all of the little details. Best wishes for an "out of this world" school year!

    Danielle
    Crayonbox Learning

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Danielle! I, along with my coworkers, have a great deal of pride for our country. :) That flag will forever hang in my classroom.

      Thanks again!

      Delete
  4. Your room, as expected, is beautiful! I know what you mean about creating something that makes you happy...we spend so much time in our rooms. :) What font did you use to make the job heading and the "Poet Tree" heading? I love the simplicity of it. Have a wonderful school year!! Can't wait to see more. Malena mmurray@conejousd.org

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're too kind, Malena. :) Thank you! As for the font, it's KG Why You Gotta Be So Mean. All of her fonts are wonderful and are free for personal use. :) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. Your "Poet Tree" is my favorite!! Super cute room!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, girly! Thanks for stopping by to see it!

      Delete
  6. WOW! I want to be a student in your classroom!! What an inviting place to come each day!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your classroom is incredibly beautiful. Any student in there is lucky to have someone as dedicated as you!
    Tania
    My Second Sense

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How sweet! I'm so glad you stopped by to check it out. :)

      Delete
  8. How beautiful! Love the space theme!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Emily! It was a lot of fun!

      Delete
  9. I always love looking at your room, Joey!! I am so jealous of your bulletin board space. I only have one board.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy!! I LOVE my BB space, too! I'm sorry you only have one. :(

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Aww, thank you! It doesn't even come close to one of your beautiful rooms, but coming from you...I'll take the compliment!!

      Delete
  11. Can you post or send me more about your homeworkopoly?

    ReplyDelete