The life I was meant to live...

Okay, I'm here to admit it...I'm going through a little obsession in my life at the moment.  I am finding it really hard to say no to jewelry.  A friend of mine that I work with started a crazy obsession with a Pittsburgh-based company called Sabika.  I honestly thought...well, that's not me, until I decided to have a party.  Well, you can just imagine.  Things are a little out of control at this point.  So, in search of some cheaper and more meaningful jewelry (not that I'm ever going to give up Sabika, lol), I found these beautifully done teacher-inspired pieces on Etsy.  I really love them and thought that you guys would to.  If you click on the picture, it will take you to the page to get a better look.  They're all super affordable...and I think...inspiring.  I think that each of them speak to a teacher's soul, especially the old man librarian.  There's just something about books being stacked high all around him that calls to my soul...(sigh).  Love it!





I'm going to take a swim in the deep end of the pool for a second, so bear with me. I think I have always been called to teach.  I think that the history of teaching...everything from one room schoolhouses, to the wooden floors in my elementary school, have always called my name.  It's the smell of musty old books and the memories of my teachers walking by my desk saying that I was doing a good job, were whispering to me all the while.  


Upon graduation, like many others, I wanted to shake the dust off of my little town.  I wanted to be something greater than what was offered here.  Looking back now, I felt that I had to rise above it...and the people that surrounded me.  Shame on the immature me...  I guess that's why they say to "live and learn."  I spent the next year studying Fashion Merchandising three hours away from my hometown.  Although I was finding myself, I was a wreck inside.  At the end of my first year of college, I decided that I was going to study at the Fashion Institute of Technology in NYC.  Upon my acceptance, we sent in my first year's tuition deposit.  I was moving to New York City.


At 6AM on Sunday, June 23, 2002, God was ready to speak to me.  The divine whispers and memories that were within me the whole time would be reawakened by a great tragedy.  A very dear friend of mine, as well as my three other sisters, died tragically in an automobile accident.  John was supposed to be with us Saturday night, but he decided that he was going to go to a party instead.  One too many drinks later, he drove his trademark old Dodge truck home...the one that took me on many back roads and fantastic adventures...  John didn't make it home that morning, and neither did his truck.


If John were alive today, he would have been my brother-in-law, and the uncle of two fantastic little girls.  After John's death, I fell in love with his brother.  You see, we all grew up together...we were literally next door neighbors and our families were bound together for quite some time.  So what does this have to do with teaching?  The week that John died, Mike (John's brother - my now husband) and I were driving to an auto parts store.  Ironically, this was the last place that John and I went together.  As we were driving, a feeling and a thought came over me like a ton of bricks.  I didn't want to move to NYC...I didn't want to leave my small town...I wanted to be what I was called to be, which was a teacher.  I remember feeling so overwhelmed with this thought that I literally said out loud, "I want to teach!"  I never felt more sure of anything before in my life!!  For the first time in a very long time, I KNEW that I was on the right path and that God had redirected me.  Perhaps it was John's gift to me.  I feel that with every bad situation comes something good.  

I always had a teacher's soul.  It just took a tragedy to teach me a lesson about being something "greater" than the life that I had been living.  What's greater than teaching?  What's greater than impacting the lives of children?  Not much.  I love the days when light bulbs go off and my students FINALLY understand what I'm teaching them.  It's a great feeling!!  This was embedded into my destiny...it just took a great loss for me to grow up a bit and realize what is really important in life.

Why all of this because of some jewelry?  I don't know...I was inspired. :)  Thank you for listening to me.  If you look at my other posts, this is the absolute MOST that I have ever typed.  I usually flood my posts with pictures, lol.  

LIFE. IS. GOOD.



Here are a few inspiring quotes that also spoke to me.  Have a wonderful day, everyone!  Blessings and love to each of you.





8 comments:

  1. I love this post today and the last quote is one of my favorites! I'm so glad you were inspired by God that day, and I know by your inspired words {and pictures} that this is your true calling. I love that we can be so inspired by a piece of jewelry, a song, quote, or other art form. Dance brings me inspiration. I haven't danced since I started teaching {I think I'm too busy}, but you have inspired me to go back {as a hobby because I love teaching too}. Life's too short not to dance! Thanks, Joey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for taking the time to read, Melissa. Life IS too short not to dance! Enjoy the music!

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness - what an incredibly moving and inspiring post! Thank you so much for sharing so much about your "past-self", your "now-self", and your motivations and inspirations in life. I'm kinda speechless in saying anything more - other than - you've truly touched me!
    ~Deb
    Crafting Connections

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, you're so sweet. Thank you for reading.
      Love you...

      Delete
  3. Thank you for your post. I feel funny crying in front of my computer as I sat reading it. It struck me very close to my heart. Have a great day!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so sweet...thank you so much for taking the time to read my words. xo!
      Joey

      Delete
  4. What a touching post. Thank you for sharing such a personal story. I'm teary eyed. I wanted to email you personally, but couldn't find an email link. I know that you are a PA blogger and I wanted to invite you to join up with us for a meet-up (this summer). We held a luncheon last summer and it was so fun meeting the real faces behind the blogs. If you are interested, please drop me line. I really hope you'll consider it. :) Wendy
    readwithmeabc {at} yahoo {dot} com
    Read With Me ABC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading! I would love to meet up with you guys! Where and when?? :) I have a meetup in Ohio in April, but would love to join up with girls from my home state! Yah!! I'll email ya!
      Take care and thanks again!
      Joey

      Delete