Making Discoveries, Sharing Love, and Giving Something Away, Hooray!

I just wanted to share some pictures of my kiddos working for the first time in their "Discovering History" packs!  I am not lying when I tell you that they now LOOK FORWARD to Social Studies!  They get to interact with one another, they get time to actively research using their books, classroom encyclopedias, as well as our classroom computers.  I walk around to listen to their discussions and to see their progress.  They were writing full sentences, smiling, getting along, and having engaging conversations...SCORE!!  

I always group the kids at varying academic levels and they typically aren't fans of this method, but I simply say, "There's a rhyme to my reason.  Simply trust me."  Then I smile and they smile back.  They're such awesome kids and let me just tell you...they LOVE when I get my camera out!  They think they're going to be famous...too cute!  Okay, enough chit chat!  Let me share some pictures of my students hard at work.  I'll explain some things along the way...let's go!

My kids are hardly ever at their seats.  We do so much partnering and group work, so this group of kiddos found themselves at my small group table.  Yes, the girl in the yellow is in the teacher's seat.  :)


So a part of my "Discovering History" packet requires the students to choose a "Historical Stand Out!"  They choose one historical figure from their lesson to research and report on.  So this young lady is doing just that. 


There are actually two vocabulary sections.  One is for the lesson's vocabulary, and this page that you're seeing is for five words throughout the lesson that stumped them a bit.  I'm sure you would agree that the vocabulary in any type of history lesson can sometimes be challenging.  This is to help aid their comprehension of their topic of study. 

It never fails...I always get asked, "Mrs. Udovich, why did men in the sixteen and seventeen hundreds dress like girls??"  Well, how do you answer that one?  We usually talk about different fashion trends and agree that this is one that will most likely NOT come back in style, ha! (No offense if this is what you were planning on wearing to work tomorrow morning. :)



Seeing as most of the pictures show the "Read All About It!" page, I wanted to show you a preview of some other pages that come in this packet.  Everything is aligned directly to the 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade CCSS for your convenience. 

Two more things...
#1: Valentine's Day is coming up, so to share the love, I wanted to share my appreciation and love for each of you with a Valentine's Day FREEBIE!  Enjoy!


Last but certainly not least, I was asked to be a part of a wonderful celebration for a very special person.  She was one of the first people to welcome me to blogging and to Teachers pay Teachers.  She was the first to share a blog post of her little ones using my symmetry packet on an island in the middle of the Atlantic (that I was fortunate to visit a few years back).  Her name is Lynn Furtado and she is celebrating her birthday with a giveaway this week!  Different teaching bloggers will be featured on her site throughout the week.  We have each donated a product that we're proud of that will be won at the end of the week by one lucky educator (it could be you!)!  Let's all wish Lynn a very happy birthday by participating and leaving her some love on her BLOG.  The giveaway begins on Monday, February 10th!  I will be featured on Tuesday the 11th. :)





4 comments:

  1. I was totally going to wear that outfit tomorrow...Haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! That's one that you would HAVE to share on my fan page for "most liked" teacher outfits! :)

      Thanks for stopping by, Melissa!

      Delete
  2. I'm totally getting the history pack. You use the same social studies book as I do. Horizons, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS just discovered your site on bloglovin.

    ReplyDelete