Creating Art Through Math...Exploring Circles!

In fifth grade, we are teaching our kiddos about diameter, radius, and circumference.  We teach them about geometric shapes and what makes them the shapes that they are.  So, to make learning these concepts a little more interesting, I have combined our curriculum with a little bit of art work!  All that you need is a math compass, a pencil, white paper, and something to color with!

I used the compass' on the bottom right and my students used crayons.


You can do one of the following to create these:

1. Give your kids a set number of circles and a set number of diameters and have them create a picture using these measurements.

2. You could give them a diameter recording sheet and have them create as many circles as they want, but no less than five, and then record their diameters.

3.  You could do either suggestions 1 or 2, but have them create the circles out of construction paper, or another type of paper, cut them out, and glue them onto another sheet! It would be a totally different effect!

It's completely up to you.  I would suggest taking it one step further and have them record the radius and circumference of each circle as well!  It's a wonderful learning opportunity that they will have a blast doing!  It's so much fun as a teacher to see their end products.



Take a look at what my students made!


I hope I inspired you a little through this post!  If you have any questions, feel free to leave me a comment!

4 comments:

  1. Love it Joey! These are beautiful!

    Krystal
    www.lessonsfromthemiddle.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww...thanks, Krystal! You are so sweet to stop by!

      Delete
  2. Love it! Pinned to my math board.

    ReplyDelete