menu   Home About Me TpT Shop Student Work Freebies  

A New Chapter...A New Challenge

So after posting a thread to vent to my fellow TpT educators about my life right now, I felt it was probably a good idea to post something similar on my blog, seeing the great response and feedback that I got from my online friends. I'll try to make this short and sweet, but you never know what will happen once I start typing, lol.

I am a mother of two...yep, the two adorable munchkins to the right of the screen. As much as my world revolves around them, I still have to teach full-time and remain a wife to a wonderful husband who takes care of my girls during the day (Daddy Day Care is what I like to call it ;)) and then works full-time afternoon shift, so as soon as both of us leave our jobs, we go straight into another, leaving us hardly any time together, except for the weekends. I am also a mommy of two huge dogs, so with beautiful dark hardwood floors...there is a lot of sweeping and swiffering going on in our house! So here's what my family is going to be going through in the upcoming months. My husband just found out that he has to undergo back surgery this month, which means I will be stepping up to the plate and that my girls will be going to the babysitter pretty much every day for at least 6 weeks. My mornings will be a little crazy, but that's okay! I need my hubby to get better! The poor thing is in so much pain.

 That's not the biggest thing happening to us in the near future. I have my first appointment with my sister's fertility doctor this month as well. After three LONG and PAIN-FILLED years of fighting several severe female issues, my sister found out in December that she would never be able to carry her own child. This devastated her and her husband...and me. I have three older sisters, but my sister Amanda, the one that is going through this, and I, are particularly close. She is only 3 years older than I am and growing up, we formed an inseparable bond. We always said that we wanted to raise our families together and grow old together, so when the doctor told her this in December...the family part seemed to be over. So, with that being said... I have volunteered to be a surrogate for my sister and her husband! :) Yep...I'm jumping in with both feet. Prior to my sister having a radical hysterectomy, she and her husband were able to freeze two embryo...so the child would be theirs 100%. I will just be the 'house' for it for 9 months.

So our appointments start this month, but the insemination probably won't begin until summer, so that it doesn't affect my work. Speaking of which, I told my principal and superintendent of my plans just this past week and I'm happy to say that they both very much support me. Some people at work have made comments like, "How can you just give a baby away?" This really upsets me, because no one truly knows the dynamics of the situation that my sister has been in. This is what I have to say to that question... I CAN live with myself, having been pregnant for nine months, having a child that is my sisters and her husbands, and giving it to them...knowing that I have to deal with some detachment and hormones. I CAN live with the joy that I will see on their faces and know in my heart that that's why I chose to do what I did. I can live with that. What I CAN'T live with would be looking at my sister's face for the rest of my life...and knowing that I did NOTHING to help her. No. It's not an option.

Why not adopt? Well..here's the deal. My sister has a very high profile job...one that is actually budgeted for 7 people. She is in charge of 13,000 employees in the third wealthiest county in the nation. She works with a woman, who is actually under my sister's rankings, that has been on the adoption list for 10 years now. So many things factor into who is elligible for adoption...one...stress in your life...your job...the amount of time it takes you to travel to your job (it takes my sister over an hour to get to her work every day)...and your health. So, my choosing to be a surrogate was the best decision for our family. I have a husband that supports me.

As for my little ones...Kinley, my youngest...is too young to know anything. Adison, my oldest, knows that we have been praying for Aunt Amanda's belly for a really long time and that God is leading us in a different direction. I asked her if it would be okay if "Mommy helped Aunt Amanda have a baby?" and if I could just grow the baby in my belly for awhile and she was like "yea..sure!" Lol. It's a different story if you ask her if she wants another brother or sister, though...she'll say...absolutely not! Kids are so funny!

I know...I know...this was long, but clearly there was a lot to say! I will be posting more as my journey into this year continues. I may need your support along the way, especially with how I deal with this at work. I don't plan on telling my students anything other than "I am pregnant." If they find out details, I will simply tell them to talk to their parents about it. What else can I do? My family comes first and I know it will all work out.
 

11 comments:

  1. You are a truly amazing sister. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Best wishes in your new challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, both! I am looking forward to this chapter of my life...there is nothing as rewarding as being unselfish for the sake of someone else...especially in this situation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying that things go well for both families and you all end up the richer for it! Gods love will see you through this:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey! I saw you on Traffic School. I love your blog! I am your newest follower :) It is great to meet new people!

    Head over to my blog and enter for a $25 TPT Gift Certificate

    Marie
    It's a Jungle Out There!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My beautiful twin daughters are in this world because my sister- in-law was my surrogate!! You are an angel for doing this. If you have any questions, visit my blog and email me.

    Julie
    My Journey to 5th Grade

    ReplyDelete
  7. We'll definitely be talking! That's so wonderful, Julie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so sweet! You're honestly one of the sweetest people I've met! :)

    PS: Just "grabbed" your button!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aww...I love you, Brit! You're a sweetie, too! Hugs to ya!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are amazing!!! Your sister is so lucky to have you! Please don't listen to the negative comments. They are clearly coming from people who either didn't have difficulties conceiving or they don't want children to begin with. You are giving your sister the best gift in the world. You should only receive positive words for your journey! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww..thank you so much, Karyn! It's so nice to hear such uplifting and supportive words. It really is...

      Hugs to you!
      Joey

      Delete